So what, 4 years or something close to it without updates? YEASH.
A lot has changed, but I’m hoping to pick this back up a little bit with some updates on thigns I’ve been upto. But first figured I’d do the quick quick quick update of whats happened the last few years:
Worked @ Harvard FAS Research Computing (was there ‘06 -> '14) as Research Computing Specialist
Left, went to the Broad Institute as Senior Systems Admin, about ~5 months in, DevOps “team” was formed
Spent a little over 1 year @ the Broad, working on:
- Openstack (mostly Nova) for a scalable VM compute farm (lsf+SGE8+Univa)
- Puppet (Torn down and rebuild mis-used PE environment into Puppet OpenSource, buildt out Puppet in GCE)
- Docker, lots and lots of docker, integrated with Puppet onsite and in GCE.
- Jenkins and software dev-ci in general (lots of docker builds/publishes/deploys)
- Consul, build a few datacenter cluster and connected them, useed for service registration
Left the Broad to return to Harvard, this time as Senior DevOps HPC Engineer @ Harvard Medical School
Now that I’m back at Harvard, we’re wokring on a bunch of things, mainly focused around a new HPC cluster build, but lots and lots of other small and big projects as well.
The most exciting part is getting to do a bunch of stuff I’ve done before, but this time “right” or, at least, more planned out.
Stay tuned. I’ve got some posts planned already:
- Bootstrapping a Puppet 4 (puppetserver 2.x) environment using almost nothing but puppet itself
- Our version of
- Why i’m not a fan of ansible, at least for config mgmt(deploys and structured remote exec/orch though are great!)
- Gems and puppet moduels I’ve started publishing
and hopefully more!